Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Spice of India I

Since today marks the celebration of Deepavali or Diwali for Hindus around the world, I'm going to share with you readers on my list of favourites Indian culinary delights. My introduction into Indian cuisine started since young because being the true Malaysian I am, hehe, my closest friends have always been Indians and I remember having lunches, dinner parties and of course Diwali open house lunches over at my their homes. Nothing gets better from anything home made. My Indian cuisine experience has been even more delightful recently with a little help from my short stay over in India last year.

Let's get things started with my list of favourites Indian culinary delights:

I'm kicking off with my list of North Indian cuisine favourites:

- Briyani be it chicken or mutton or veg.

I love to eat it with lots of raita. Raita is an Indian salad and with Briyanis, it usually comes with some red onion mixed with yogurt and the raita looks rather reddish-pink. The best about authentic Indian Briyanis (yes, there is a stark difference with Malaysian Briyanis and Indian Briyanis) is that it's a bowl full of spices and very spicy indeed. I say that it's a bowl because Briyani is usually served in the typical Indian stainless steel bowl and when I say it's spicy, it can get wickedly spicy. Even the Basmati rice actually looks red. Give it a go if you really like 'super hot' food! The best Briyanis can be found in Hyderabad which is famous to be very spicy and of course full of spice.

- Romali roti

This roti is actually very soft and thin and you will easily fall in love with this roti. It's nothing like the ordinary roti. Definitely a must try North Indian roti.

- Jelebi

A deep fried batter sweets which resembles a typical Muruku but it's soft in texture and very sweet indeed. Best to eat it hot and it is very interesting to eat a hot and sweet desserts. Your taste buds will love this to bits. =)

-Palak Paneer

Firstly, Paneer is a soft, crumbly Indian cheese usually found in small cubes. A Palak Paneer is curry dish, usually a combination of fried paneer the cheese and some spinach. It's a famous vegetarian dish and you haven't tasted the Indian food if you have not tasted this Palak Paneer. Haha. Oh well, that's what I thought though.

-Chicken and Fish Tikka

It's usually a fried, red in colour diced chickens and fish. It's great because it's like one of those finger food that you'll usually eat but the up side is that it's rich in flavour of the spice.

-Burfi

It's an Indian sweets, very soft and melts in your mouth. Usually have some traces of nuts and it looks pretty classy because sometimes it's served with a thin layer of edible silver leaf on the top. Really yummy!

I pretty much have listed my favourite North Indian cuisine and I've yet to go so far on South Indian foods. There will be a continuation on this list for the my top favourite South Indian cuisine. So do tell me, what type of Indian food do you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment