Pages

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love. Three simple steps of life. Well at least that's how simple it seems when it's written in a book.

Eat, Pray, Love is a book written by Elizabeth Gilbert. I had a chance to skim through the book somewhere at MPH. Man, I was hooked on it and I was literally standing and reading for nearly 30 minutes until my feet got sore . Every strategic sitting corners around the area was occupied with other bookworms alike and I simply settled for the standing-reading mode. Each one them sitting-readers are enjoying free reading of 'pricey' books and yours truly included. Hehe.

Initially, I was contemplating on whether I should buy the book and read it at home. But, I had to make sure it was worth the buy so that got me flipping from the Eat chapter, to the Pray chapter and finally the Love chapter. Oops, fyi, the book is divided into three main chapters:Eat, Pray, Love. Thus, explains the title of the book.

Eat - I didn't read so much on this part. It's more about her journey to Italy and indulging on loads of pasta. And I skipped to Pray.

Pray - Her journey to India where she found herself praying and meditating at the ashrams. Seeking for her spritiual journey in India. I skipped this part too. I'm not particularly interested in learning about Hinduism. If it's Christianity, Jews, Islam - I'll be reading for sure!

Love - This is the most intriguing part of all and this is where I'm hooked. Hehe. She had her bout of 'love escapade' in Bali. In this chapter, she explained how she had been maintaining celibacy since her divorce. And story cut short, she met the love of her life, a Brazilian guy and they made lotsa passionate love making. Until one day,due to too much love making she contracted a urinary tract infection. She decided to seek medical treatment from the local Balinese healer to get some traditional local remedy which works surprisingly fast and well for her. Her visits to this lady healer enfolds more interesting, true story about a Balinese life.

From her stories, I've learnt that Balinese men cannot accept the fact that some of them may have issues of being impotent and in order to solve issues of making babies between spouses with impotency, it's normal for the local healer to invite young men who are generally cabbies around the Bali town to casually sleep with the wife's of the 'problematic' husbands without any fees. It was just the healer way of helping Balinese men to procreate their clan. Haha. Or in other words, the healer is helping to heal impotency issues by inevitably becoming a pro at pimping. LOL! I was shocked reading that they take it so casually and there's nothing wrong to doing it as long as the husband didn't know anything about it of course. Oh well, I guess it's just how life is in certain parts of the world.

Having read all those, I decided not to buy and keep the book. It was a fun read though. And yeah, they are making a movie out of this book and perhaps we should go check the movie out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment