Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Training For A 10km Run - Can I Keep Up With The 10km Training Challenge?

A couple of months back, I went on a sudden out of the blue decision to sign up online for a 10km running event. The run is going to be held by end of June and I got somewhat about less than 2 months to even start with the training. Truth be told, I haven't been running for months now and I only just started running or it was more like a jog-power walk kind of combination 4 days ago.

From the look on how the training program is going, I am not doing a great job right now to keep up with it. So I suppose, in vain hope to motivate myself to continue with the grueling process of training to run, I might as well, blog about it on probably a weekly basis to touch base on my running progress and ponder on if I am actually going to be able to finish a 10km run within the cut-out period of under 2 hours ( I think the cut-out time for you to get a medal for a 10km run is 2 hours. Got to re-check again with the organizers.)

My plan for the first initial training is as the followings:

- do a combination of jog and power walk, non-stop for about 4.4km - 5km and the aim is to be able to clock 5km in about 30 minutes.

- on this initial phase, I need to be able to run non-stop for about 1km and then alternate on power walk and run again.

Up until today, I've managed to accomplish :

- Non-stop power walk and a short jog - 4.4km in 42 min

- Hill hiking for a total duration of about 1hour 30 min

I have been resting for 3 days now because I need to recover from a sore on my right ribs and I think it is getting better today. So I might probably resume training again tomorrow. If all goes well, my target is to continue running about 5km a day, 6 days a week with a one day rest in a week. My aim for this 10km run is to finish the run within an hour so that's an average of 5km per half an hour. I don't know if I'm aiming a bit too high but since previously I was able to run 5km in about 30 mins, so I suppose this target is quite achievable.

Until more updates on this 10km run training next week. Oh, wish me the best of health on this one peeps. I really want to check "Participating in a marathon" out of my bucket list of To-Dos. Although this time it is only a 10km run which is not even close to a half marathon, but who really cares! :)

 

8 comments:

  1. there's no need to pressure yourself with time as goal .. just go and enjoy the run! come the event you'll see how much you have accomplished .. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I just love to pressure myself so that I can keep up with things and in this case, keeping up with training. I am prone to slack off too so yeah, pressure is good for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha .. just make sure you enjoy yourself in the process .. for me, it's always the journey that counts, not the destination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Go Go Yas I know u can do it coz u are an X TOP speedy runner in Convent ma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yasz, u target to complete the run within an hour?? Sure I tertinggal jauh. Haha.. Knee is still recovering & my target is to clock in 1 hr 30 mins. If not, anytime la, as long as within 2 hours. Janji boleh dapat medal :P keke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Priti, I was an ex-speedy runner and I don't deserve that title anymore now. Hahaha. Been ages wei!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like over right, want to target for that timing. An hour?? I don't think I can manage within that time coz I'm not doing much run anyway now. Yeah, I think I put 1.5hour as the target finishing time in the form we had to fill during the registration. I think we'll get the medals, no worries. :)

    ReplyDelete