Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mount Kinabalu Expedition Day 2 -Timpohan To Laban Rata

[caption id="attachment_885" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Pondok Timpohan Starting Point"][/caption]

Armed with food and water in our back pack alongside the ever so useful RM 3 wooden stick, we made our way down hill from the Timpohan gate or Pondok Timpohan starting point. Bungin the guide told us that the hike will take approximately 6 hours and by all means we should arrive at Laban Rata the latest by 5 pm because dinner will be served from 5pm – 7pm only. The last thing you want to do is to miss a buffet dinner after burning thousands of calories on hours of an uphill battle.

Hence the hours of ascent began and everyone started well with a steady slow and easy hike. All of us started to hike at our own time and right after reaching the 1KM rest station in less than 30 minutes, I decided to catch on with 5 others who were already leading ahead from the rest of the 13 of us. So there I was, climbing the wooden stairs alongside Azleena, Marlina, Zue and occasionally Fazilah and Azril whom at all times were on the lead.

Climbing and making it from Station 1(1KM) to Station 2 (2KM) brings back memories of myself hiking the exact same trail last year under a condition where I was wearing only flip-flops, no water and close to zero stamina, panting like crazy just after reaching the 1KM mark. It is glad to mention that I was in good shape and great stamina this time around because I did undergone some series of trainings for this expedition and hiking through Station 1 to Station 2 proved to be quick, easy and was simply a breeze. I also had put on my breathing technique into gear right from the start of the hike and that helps a great deal because I was never caught panting hard throughout the whole ascent. The ascent hike feels almost like a natural walk where I don't really need to exert myself for each climb.

The most daunting times during the first few kilometers of the Summit trail would most probably be the long stretch of continuous wooden staircases. Initially a couple of us started to name the stairs as “The Staircase to Hell” but I thought it was best to put on a much positive nickname and so the stairs got called as “The Staircase to Heaven” instead. The higher we go, that is much closer to heaven we shall be. Hehe.

No doubt the hike got tougher as we climb higher up on the mountain. At most times, the 6 of us will rest for about 5-10 minutes at each station and I was constantly checking that we didn't rest for too long at each stop so that we won't lose our pacing momentum after each rests. Since I only brought along a small bottle of roughly 750ml of water, I made my first refill from the untreated water tank right at Station 3. At this station, all 6 of us stopped for a little while to munch up a bit and if I'm not mistaken, I was pretty darn hungry by then. The untreated water is perfectly fine to drink and it was one of the best, cooling fresh water I've ever tasted. Do bear in mind that some tanks do have some sediments in the water and adding a sachet of flavoured ORS helps to drink up these kind of untreated water.

[caption id="attachment_890" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Over the clouds at Mt. Kinabalu"][/caption]

For the long hours of hike I didn't bother to listen to my mp3 because I didn't want to disturb my chi with my crazy, head spinning dance and trance music. Haha. The only sound I tune to was the sound of the surrounding and if you teach yourself to learn to the sound of the flora and fauna, you will receive peace and a great calming effect which is the key to keeping focus especially when your game is to make it to the top, keep on walking no matter what and never stop until you get there. A lot of prayers and a positive mindset helps a great deal too during this long, tiring ascent. As I chant my little prayers, I felt that every steps was surge with great energy and ease and without a doubt it was the best motivational boost that kept me going rapidly towards the top.

[caption id="attachment_891" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="At this point, I felt like crawling all the way up. Thanks to the porter guys, they told me I was only 5-10 minutes away from Laban Rata. My legs started cramping by now and I kept going of course."][/caption]

It was out of my mind to think that I could ever made it to Laban Rata in just about 4 hours but what do you know, I did just that! All in all, I managed to clock a total time of roughly 4 hours and 43 min from Timpohan to Laban Rata which was just under 5 hours and totally out of my expectation. Fazilah and Azril both made it to Laban Rata around 15 minutes or so ahead of me, while Marlina got there a couple of minutes just before me and soon followed up with Azleena and Zue trailing behind minutes after I arrived. The rest of the gang made it too in fairly good time in under 6 hours which was a really good time for first timers on the Mt.Kinabalu expedition. It proves to show that all of us were in pretty good shape and stamina and man, it felt really great to actually arrive and step foot at Laban Rata.

[caption id="attachment_892" align="aligncenter" width="200" caption="We made it to Laban Rata Yo!"][/caption]

2 comments:

  1. yayyy!!! everything was still fresh in mind even after a 2 weeks return from Mt. Kinabalu. aih, kinda miss Borneo even more =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we still have that free ticket remember. hahaha

    ReplyDelete