Pages

Monday, May 25, 2009

Yuna oh Yuna!

I walked into the auditorium and saw everyone sitting on the carpet. It wasn't jam packed so we chose for a spot right in the middle and a few steps away from the stage. It was good to sit down and stretched your legs straight, enjoying the dim and air-con chilled ambience. Relaxing your aching body from too much of outdoor workouts. But hey, why was I there again?

Two girls were on stage. One adjusting stuffs on her keyboard, the other holding a tiny, black book and adjusting her mic and the sound system. They introduced themselves and they began. Oh, didn't I tell you, they were not Yuna! They were a duo with one playing background music on her keyboard for the other one's poem recital session. They had their 15 minutes of poetic sessions with really mad and wicked sound effects which made me laughed, shifted uncomfortably from one sitting position to another, yawned and thinking, "When the hell are you gals going to finish? This is making me sleepy."

Around 6ish pm, their 'performing' session ended. We half-heartedly applauded and came Yuna and the band.

Being there watching and sitting on the softly carpeted floor, it reminded me during my days of sitting on plastic chairs of the school hall, cheering crazily over my fellow classmates, Ben & Narin on their guitar renditions of was it Nirvana or Metallica. I can't really remember. I remember having goosebumps when the boys strummed on their guitars fully amplified and all. It was awesome and the ultimately cool live band performance. The energy from the band was overflowing to the audience.

But was there energy in Yuna's performance? Did I get goosebumps just listening to her band playing? Sad to say, I got neither the energy nor goosebumps. I thought if Randy, Paula and Simon would have been there to judge the performance, they would say something like this," ...you ought to connect more with the audience. We didn't feel you down here, gal...". Yuna's performance was lacking the vibe and the energy that makes you wanna rock your body to the tune. There's some missing effect I don't know what. But overall, she sang well, the band played well and I thought the drummer is kinda good looking but there's always this but. The 'but' that makes the whole performance just another show like any other band. There's no lasting effect. Probably, it's just so Yuna. I don't know.

Been there, listened to her but am unsure if I'm going to come back. Probably, her music is just not my thang. I would rather go head banging with songs like," ...I'll bring you the rollercoaster baby..."

4 comments:

  1. Oh no..don't use that word INDIE again.it made me puke,really.

    Btw,Yuna is not a band,she is a singer/songwriter from KL (i think),but heck,she had a band named after her.

    Yeah2,most probably,her music is more to POP,and again YUNA phenomenon is same like what is always happened in Malaysia,it's seasonal.

    don't worry,it'll fade away..:)

    but no offence,give music a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wei appito~@mira...
    thnks for the details..Yuna is still the band's name ler pun..=p

    ReplyDelete