Pages

Thursday, April 27, 2006

These kids need a SHRINK!

It was during the Moral class. Out of the 18 students, 5 of them are girls and the remaining numbers are the amount of mixed hooligans and civilised young lads that I have to bear with in the class.

Things started off fine as the students slowly creep in. I managed to shout out some announcement regarding the previous test results and asking them to open up their books to discuss a passage. That took me a lot of screaming to get them to calm down and to literally sit down. The girls are to be complemented on their behaved demeanor but not the boys though. Few of the boys brought no books and it took me sometime to kindly coerce them to share books with their friends and write down the answers in a piece of paper.

Later two boys came in after being called out for some counsellings session with thier class teacher. Upon arriving in the class and in a mere split second, a cry broke out at the back of the class. Student A started crying while hitting some punches to student D and they started screaming. It turned out that, D tried to steal A's shaker mechanic pencil and even have the guts to say A stole it from him. As the supposedly only sensible adult at that time, I acted like a judge. "Both of you keep quiet and see me after class." Grabbed the pencil and walked to the front of the class and tried to resume the already paused lesson.

Ya di ya ya di ya...then came the teacher cum referee moment!

Student K and student N were fussing about who should be doing the presentation in the group. At first it was just a face to face shout at each other face kind of fight. In the next second, came the shove me and shove you part. Later, the teacher who happened to be yours truly intervened and tried to stop to whole chaos before it gotten any worse. At first I really had no idea on how to handle this two young guys. You want to know why?

Let me vividly try to picture you Student K physical being. He is slightly taller than I am and probably weigh three times more than I am. He is an obese 11 year old kid and has some anger management problem to deal with. On the other hand, Student N is just a normal ,tiny 11 year old kid. I presume him as normal!

So just imagine it, I was putting myself in between these furious monsters. I had nothing to worry about with Student N. My constant worries was with Student K. There I was, standing like a pathetic referee trying to break a fight. I tried to spread my two hands at my side. Supposedly that will separate the two from futher bashing one another. Student K was seriously out of control. He did not give a fuck that I was there in the middle of them trying to break them loose. Meanwhile student N was already ready to give in and gave up the fight.

Student K kept on pounding the other fellow while I was trying to miss some of the heavy punches from him. After what seemed like a minute of me screaming to Student K to stop whatever he was doing, the fight ended. I managed to break them loose with a price of a slight punch from Student K. Ouch!!!

I do not know if I have done a pretty darn good job or not. I guess I really suck at it. I should have been more stern with the kids. But how am I suppose to do that when these are the possibilities coming ahead of me if I could have whacked both students and screamed curses at them:
- Student K might beat me up instead of simply punching Student N (remember the size of the fella)
- K might turned into a green hulk and put on a fit of rage by trashing the metal chairs at me
- I might experienced some post-fight revenge like car scratches or God knows what these kids can do nowadays.

In the end of the day, I thought that I had done a pretty not bad job. Hahaha! It was difficult and I had no clue on how to handle them at all. Man, I was exhausted by the time class ended. Thank God recess was next. I ate and drank to fuel up on those lost calories. Who bloody says teaching is easy?

By the way, K definitely needs to see a shrink like ASAP. If only I could tell that to his parents. He definitely has problem to control his emotions. One second he is a chirpy, happy kid while the next he just turns into a rage machine. He is a grumpy kid and he needs help. I could imagine that if his behavior continues until his teenage life, he has big possibilities to turn into a hardheaded mobster! That's bad!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Kids these days. All shapes and sizes. And it sounds like your Moral class needs some more moral students.

    Hey wait, you're not teaching anymore, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. omin... i think student K is like that bcoz of his size..probably he sense that he is abnoraml in size and wanted to get attention..maybe people tease him at home or whatever...so, he turn into over self defense and bully others instead..... jeng jeng jeng...from me..shrink wannabe... :P

    ReplyDelete