Pages

Friday, April 14, 2006

Maulud Nabi Celebration!

While the Christians are celebrating Good Friday today, the Muslims at my school had a Maulud Nabi celebration for the children. Officially the birth of the prophet falls on the 11th which was two days back.

I could not recall having to celebrate any Maulud Nabi celebration during my school days. Probably there were such celebrations held during those days, I just could not remember participating in any. Too bad!

The only thing I could vividly remember during those days was whenever it was a Good Friday. Sister Lucy would make a big fuss about it. Yes, I think she did fuss about it. Or did we have a public holiday back then during Good Friday? I studied in a Convent School so I must have had a holiday during Good Friday. Oh whatever. I just could not remember. It was not that it was such a big deal back then.

The point is, the whole celebration at school today was something new for me because I could not seem to remember celebrating any Maulud Nabi celebration during my school days. Hahaha.

On the other hand, these are my say for the things that happened today:

1. I was struggling to read the ceremony's phamplet which was written in Jawi. Ouch!!!
2. I remembered having to be forced to memorize Quranic verses during school days and having no idea what any of them meant. I could admit that I had only successfully remember a couple of verses up until today.
3. It is quite ridiculuos to have young children aged from 6-9 year old to wear the head scarfs.I have nothing against the wearing of a head scarfs and no doubt it will be a good practise for these young kids to start wearing one once they hit puberty. But still again, it is sickening to see this kids wearing them because they are told to wear them without knowing any prior reason to why they are wearing it and at the end of the day, most of them went back sweating their scarfs out. Talking about the outcome of the scarfs after those aggresive play and runs during recess.
4. Probably because the school is densely populated with Ustaz(s) and Ustazah(s), the whole celebration was a success . But, if I would have stayed throughout the whole ceremony, perhaps I will get disoriented on whether I am teaching at a Muslim religious school or am I teaching at a public inter races school. Haha.

... I do have a lot more to say on this issue but I guess it will be rather sensitive to talk it out loud.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes...I remember our dearest Sister Lucy with her infamous "pelajar-pelajar"...the good ol'days.

    I've updated my journal! Can I link your webpage?

    K.Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea sure! go ahead n link up!it'll be a good promo for this blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete