Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

I Love Hummus!

Hummus with crushed basil eaten with spelt crackers
I think I had my first ever hummus like two years ago and it was delicious, an excellent lunch snack and I think it's healthy too! I don't think there is anything unhealthy when you are eating too much chickpeas and olive oil - which essentially is what hummus is all about.

To cut the long story short, since having tasted hummus for the first time, I started learning, tasting and discovering more on Mediterranean/Arabic dishes. Since then, I've made couscous, lamb mandi and a few attempts of hummus without the tahini or tahina. I have yet to make my own tahini, although I've stocked up on the sesame seeds ages ago. Probably I just need to get some chick peas to get me started with the tahini paste.

My version of the hummus : coarsely ground because that's the way I like it!

Hummus is real easy to make. All you need to have is some boiled chickpeas ( I don't really like can chickpeas), tahini ( can do without), garlic ( optional if you love the garlicy taste, I just avoid it because I don't want to have bad breath), good extra virgin olive oil, salt, paparika(optional). With all these ingredients, simply blend them in a food processor or a blender until it is smooth and silky. I made the one above a bit chunky because that's how I like eating my beans or nuts - haha. You know like chunky peanut butter, so yeah, it's the same way with hummus.

If you grow up eating boiled chickpeas with salt like I do, probably you should give hummus a try. In fact, even if you've never had hummus in your life, you really should give it a try. It's delicious and there are so many other hummus recipes out there. There are easy to make, fast and didn't I just say that hummus is so delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment