Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Broga Hill in 2011 - Things Have Changed A Lot Over The Years

It is almost like a ritual now for me to hike up Broga Hill at least on an annual basis. I did write about how things have changed tremendously at Broga last year. This time around, our plan to climb Broga Hill was a last minute thing. It was something that has been brought our during my losing game of bowling. Hehe. Despite thinking that Bukit To'kun hike at Bukit Mertajam, Penang could possibly be the closing hike I would be doing this year, I was totally wrong about that. I'm game and all gear up to do more outdoor activities during this year ending holiday season.

So let's get talking about Broga Hill at least from how I see it last weekend.

What is new at Broga Hill now?

- I spotted a couple of make shift toilets hidden away at the corner of the oil palm parking lot and another one just at the beginning point of the hike

- There weren't a lot of people last week comparatively to the throng of human processions I've seen over the days. I'm blaming the holiday seasons so people are getting out of town.

- There are more food stalls and the usual Chinese aunty who sells her cold drinks is still there but she is sitting way up to the starting point which will be the first stall hikers will meet as they reached down from the hill. Business is getting really competitive these days at Broga Hill. hehe. Surprisingly there is also a burger stall. I was like WT* for a second there thinking that it is so out of place. People someone should note to them that people who are hikers are usually health conscious and we care about what goes down into our stomach. Burgers will mess up with our system dude!

- As for the track itself : it is the usual track. I was wearing someone else sport shoes and it does get a bit slippery on some trails. We didn't climb up the last point of the track too. It was rocky, with a bit of rope climbing and not to mention slippery because we were people watching and so quite a few slipped down and got them hanging on the ropes. But not to worry, it is fairly safe provided you have people around to give you a hand.

- I think quite a number of people were actually climbing up Gunung Tok Wan which starts at the highest point of Broga Hill. Yes, I was somewhat suggesting to my fellow hikers to do this Tok Wan hike last month but we didn't because the timing was all off. So yeah, I have enough reason to come back Broga Hill again next year so that I can finish up Tok Wan.

- The view has always been stunning at Broga Hill so I didn't bother to really pose and have a nice shot taken. I'm silly like that so silly is the only thing I know when it comes to posing for pictures. It's fun though and you should do it too!

There you go! The final report on the things that has changed at Broga Hill for 2011. I'm expecting things to 'develop' more at this place. I hope it's only  for the better. You still have this weekend and next week to hike up Broga Hill if you haven't already. Go there. Get hiking. Get sweating. It's really fun and hiking never gets old despite how many times you walk up the same trail.

2 comments:

  1. The walking track is wider with many paths & in no time Broga Hill will become Botak Hill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm sensing that will happen pretty soon. Broga Hill turns Botak (Bald) Hill in anytime. Hohoho!

    ReplyDelete